This week on the blog, I’ll be going over some key points to this past Sunday’s message.
Renewing your mind
This last Sunday we looked at renewing your mind. Here are a few notes from this Sunday. If you want the full message, be sure to listen to this week’s podcast or visit the website.
Romans 12:2- “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”
The problem most of us have is the transformation of the renewal of the mind…the change…the renovation of the mind…the change of the condition. We want to change our behavior, but we don’t ever transform our mind.
The mind is such a powerful thing. The mind is defined like this:
- The seat of emotions and affections; the mode of thinking and feeling; the moral inclination.
Our brains want to use the least amount of energy! Our brains want to figure out the easiest, the path that of the least resistance, and go in that direction.
This is why our minds must be renewed…the path of the least resistance is to go back to our old ways, our old nature. This is why so many people fail on their New Years resolutions…
I ask you to check yourself today…ask if you need to renew yourself in any of those areas… Here’s 5 things to check yourself on to see if you are living in your old self…
- Walk or live in futility of their mind…which means vanity or emptiness. Most of these areas will deal with the mind…
- Walk with understanding darkened… darkened is to be calloused; insensitive; hardness…like petrified wood. They are blinded to the things of God.
- They are alienated from the life of God…they are separated from the life of God…Not by God’s choice, but by their choice…it is our choice whether we wear the same stinky clothes…and it’s our choice to separate ourselves from the life of God.
- They are past feeling…they have reached the point of not caring, another form of being calloused, of becoming hard hearted, just don’t care who they hurt, who they don’t hurt, have no feelings either way.
- Give themselves over to… to lewdness, to sensual living, to uncleanness, to dirty-filthy living…they have given themselves over to greediness.
Greediness– Coveting, craving, grasping, desiring to have more and more- getting all one can get and still desiring or craving more and more- Acting with self centered behavior
We are told to be renewed in the spirit of your mind…remember we need to change our thinking.
To renew is to change…to renew we must:
- Love the Lord with all our heart, soul and mind
- Keep our minds on spiritual things
- Cast down all imaginations that have held us captive…
Remember this… You are now a new creation!
- To be new is when one is changed…to be new is to be readjusted… When you go to the Chiropractor you get adjusted, and sometimes you need to go back to get readjusted…
The Bible tells us to put off our old self, our old nature, and put on our new self, new nature. This year, let’ ask the Lord to renew our minds, to renew our hearts…to go after the things of God.
Let me finish with this: “And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.”